The 7 Success Secrets of Leonardo da Vinci
What were the success secrets of Leonardo da Vinci? Unarguably, he was one of the most brilliant people ever. His interests included invention, painting, sculpting, architecture, science, math, music, engineering, anatomy, medicine and the list goes on. He’s considered the prime model of the “Renaissance Man.” This means an individual of unprecedented genius and an unquenchable desire to learn. Among his greatest works are the Mona Lisa, The Last Supper, The Vitruvian Man and Lady with an Ermine. What drove this man to such achievements is so many fields?
By reviewing his words we find his success secrets…
1. “One can have no smaller or greater mastery than mastery of oneself.” Restraint is a key characteristic of success. Personal self-control, and discipline helps us do what has to be done to win.
2. “Learning never exhausts the mind.”“The knowledge of all things is possible.”
Leonardo did his research on whatever subject or goal he envisioned. The 13,000 pages of notes he left behind from his studies testify to his diligence. Therefore, success requires the homework be thorough.
3. “As you cannot do what you want, Want what you can do” “Study without desire spoils the memory, and it retains nothing that it takes in.”
Success demands resolve. This equals courage, boldness, willpower and earnestness to achieve an objective.
4. “It had long since come to my attention that people of accomplishment rarely sat back and let things happen to them. They went out and happened to things.” “I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do.”
Goals and plans are fine but we must respond with massive purposeful action. The great end of life is not knowledge but action. Leonardo put his studies to work. In his day he painted, created, invented, built and designed. We still are in awe of his brilliance hundreds of years later.
5. “Every action needs to be prompted by a motive.”
Pulling It All Together
Furthermore, with enough reasons any goal is possible. Consequently, goals give us motivation to act, to persevere to keep going on. Too often people talk themselves out of their accomplishment even before they make the attempt. Some people just don’t have enough reasons so they lack passion to do.
6. “I love those who can smile in trouble, who can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink, but they whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves their conduct, will pursue their principles unto death.”
Resilient people are more, do more and have more. All great achievers have great failures. When knocked down, resilient people get back up and don’t quit. This alone separates the winners from the losers.
7. “Every now and then go away, have a little relaxation, for when you come back to your work your judgment will be surer. Go some distance away because then the work appears smaller and more of it can be taken in at a glance and a lack of harmony and proportion is more readily seen.”
Everyone needs balance. Even the best, yes, even the genius. Take time to relax and rejuvenate. Work/life balance is a must for a healthy and happy life.
If we learn from masters like Leonardo da Vinci, we minimize our obstacles. By understanding their success secrets we also maximize our opportunities. May the best of success be yours.
Finally, if you like this please leave a comment. Also, check out these resources.
Do you want to benchmark your career with the habits of highly successful people? If so, check out this complimentary inventory & guide: Success Practices.
Finally, do you need a breakthrough? Read this as well: The One Trait that turns Setbacks into Comebacks.
You always do the right thing. God Bless you.
Good post! I read your blog often and you always post excellent content. I posted this article on Facebook and my followers like it. Thanks for writing this!
whoa! this blog is great i love reading your posts. Keep up the great work! You know, a lot of people are looking around for this information, you can aid them greatly.